AQUION ASPEN Saltwater Batteries
Introducing the first safe and sustainable deep cycle battery.Our unique Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI™) chemistry is made from abundant, nontoxic materials. Our deep cycle battery technology contains no heavy metals or toxic chemicals and is non-flammable and non-explosive, resulting in the cleanest and safest batteries for your home or business.
Our Aspen batteries are the first and only in the world to be Cradle to Cradle Certified™, an esteemed quality mark for products made from sustainable materials and manufacturing processes.
AHI chemistry is composed of a saltwater electrolyte, manganese oxide cathode, carbon titanium phosphate composite anode, and synthetic cotton separator. The battery utilizes non-corrosive intercalation reactions at the anode and cathode. See how we compare to lithium ion and lead acid.
Clean energy initiatives need clean battery technology.It’s counterintuitive to invest in solar energy generation, and then install dirty batteries for your solar energy storage system. Clean energy should be stored in clean batteries. Our batteries are the first and only in the world to be Cradle to Cradle Certified™, an esteemed quality mark for products made from sustainable materials and manufacturing processes. Why wouldn’t you choose the cleanest and safest option?
A battery fire is not your average fire.(So it’s a good thing that Aspen batteries are not your average batteries.) Safety is serious business when installing large-scale battery systems. You’ve seen the news reports on battery fires. The chemicals in most battery technologies result in dramatic energetic release that is difficult to contain and extinguish, and hazardous toxins are released into the air.
Aquion’s Aqueous Hybrid Ion (AHI™) chemistry is inherently safe and is not capable of energetic thermal runaway. Our batteries have passed UL 1973 flame propagation testing. In addition, our batteries contain no hazardous, toxic, or noxious materials. They don’t corrode or leak chemicals making them safe and worry-free to place in homes and businesses. That’s why what’s inside matters. Watch us light them on fire:
While they are never done intentionally, battery punctures are another serious safety consideration when choosing energy storage. In some cases, a puncture can cause explosions. Manufacturers test for this with a “nail penetration test.” Below is what happened when we conducted a nail penetration test on an energized Aquion battery– though we took it up a notch and used a drill. Watch to see what happens, or see a side-by-side comparison with a standard lithium-ion test.
What’s inside matters.
- Aquion’s batteries are not flammable, corrosive, or explosive within any environment, states of charge, or use condition as specified in Aquion’s specification sheets and users manuals.
- AHI batteries have a safe water-based electrolyte.
- Thermal runaway events are simply not possible in the AHI chemistry.
- AHI batteries have an environmentally-friendly electrochemical design that contains no heavy metals, toxic chemicals, inorganic solvents, or other noxious materials.
- AHI batteries are safe enough to be disposed via traditional waste streams (always follow local regulations regarding disposal of any product) and are Cradle to Cradle Certified™.
- The deep cycle batteries are completely sealed and do not require maintenance. They are self-balancing and therefore do not require an equalizing charge or a battery management system (BMS).
- AHI batteries have no moving parts like flow batteries, complicated watering systems like some lead acid batteries, and do not require active cell balancing like lithium ion systems.
- The aqueous electrolyte provides natural overcharge and overdischarge protection and, along with the high impedance of the system, allows AHI batteries to self balance in string configurations.
- AHI batteries are tolerant to daily deep cycling, wide temperature ranges, and partial state of charge cycling with minimal degradation.
- In addition to the safety and sustainability advantages of using water as electrolyte, another advantage is the thermal mass of the embodied water means that AHI products neither heat nor cool rapidly. As such, the products can operate in a very wide operating temperature window because they simply take so long to heat and to cool.
- The AHI chemistry relies on charge/discharge mechanisms which are unaffected by partial state of charge – these batteries can sit indefinitely at partial, or even no state of charge, without irreversible capacity loss like lead acid batteries.